Sometimes, international students prefer to access psychological services outside of their universities. Below are the steps as well as relevant links to these services.
- Ask the psychologist on the payment method when making an appointment (either upfront or claim the bill from the psychologist and send it to the OSHC provider).
- Ask the GP to refer you to a psychologist. Call the psychologist and ask how much an appointment will cost. Advise the psychologist on the mental health plan.
- Contact the OHSC provider and provide them with the MBS Item number, get information on the following: a)Would it be covered? b)How much it would be covered? You may need to pay a gap fee.
- Get the MBS Item number from the psychologist.
Digital mental health services
Find a counsellor/psychologist
Find a psychiatrist
Find a social worker
- If the psychologist charges more than the government standard, the OSHC will only cover 85% of the cost
- The mental health plan covers up to 10 sessions for Medicare holders, but should cover as many as necessary for international students